Followers

I'm a Military Blogger

TheRogueMilspouse

Monday, April 26, 2010

Death of a Care Package

Words cannot even begin to express exactly how I feel right now.

Remember that amazingly beautiful package I slaved day in and day out for? I baked cookies and cakes and made a photo book and went on a man-hunt for Samoas?

It's MIA.

Literally....MIA.

I don't know where it went. DH never got it. I mailed it almost 3 weeks ago.

Apparently mail was held up because of the Iceland volcano, but really....even at the time of the erruption the package was already a DAYS behind schedule. All my other packages arrived within 8 days. We're now going on 20 days.

I have sorry hopes for the contents of the package. The cakes will probably be fine (I hope) but the cookies....I tried to seal them as best I could in a ziploc bag with a slice of bread. I don't even want to think about what they look like now. Or what the bread looks like now.

I don't know. WILL the cakes be fine? If the package ever even turns up, I don't know if I would trust anything in it, except maybe the (by then) melted candy and cookies. And it's not even really the unfit food that bothers me. It's the lack of surprise. After finding out it never arrived, I HAD to tell him what was in it because he was asking why I was crying over a package.

Oh yes, you heard me. I cried over a package like it was my own missing child. It was a piece of art. I was so excited for him to open it and see all the work I put into it and to see the photo book I made with all the pictures of us, and the pretty cakes and how I wrapped them all in fabric and tied them with ribbon and included all of his favorite candy and wrote a poem....and now it seems like it's either never going to get there (did they lose it? was it stolen? forgotten? thrown away?) or it's going to get there and nothing in it will be useable...except the photo book (which is now no longer a surprise..and how can he even enjoy that if he can't eat the love I put into all of the food?).

I feel completely crushed right now. Part of me wants to fire-bomb the post office (FBI take note: I am not serious. I am in no way, shape, or form going to incite violence against a government office or it's employees...just understand my anger). The other part of me wants to crawl into a hole, padded with pretty ribbon and fabric, and cry over this package like it's a deceased loved one.

And yet another part of me wants to never make another pretty care package again. Maybe now I will forever punish myself to plain brown boxes and store-bought goods. Never again will I put glue to paper. I will never stand in the kitchen and meticulously shape cookies. I will never cut squares of fabric. And I will never take any pride in my creations anymore...if this is what the world has in store for my work.

And if my threat against the Post Office attracted any sort of government attention, I would just like to point out that I am DEMANDING a full investigation into this...this...MISJUSTICE! Oh yes, you heard me. This is a misjustice. It is GROSS NEGLIGENCE of soon-to-be GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. And if this happens one more time...then so help me I will SWIM my packages across the Atlantic Ocean MYSELF!

DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?

12 comments:

Expat Girl said...

Haha I cried over a package back at the beginning of the year too! It was a superbowl one that I had put so much effort into and when my husband though one of the guys might have got it by mistake I had to give him the list of contents which is where the tears began as the surprise was ruined! I hope yours turns up soon

~Cheryl~ said...

Oh man that stinks!! I really hope it does turn up. Maybe God knew he would need a good smile later and is saving it. Geesh I feel bad for you though. We spend so much time on packages and how they will feel when they get it that it becomes a HUGE investment. I totally know how you feel.

Skinnie Piggie said...

If it makes you feel any better... I finally got to talk to my hubby's best friend (he was in our wedding and everything who is currently deployed in Afghanistan) this weekend... he only got my Valentine's box... which means there is an Easter box and spring box floating off in never never land somewhere with melting chocolate eggs and cookies turning into cement. For myself I'm just happy it was for a friend and not my hubby... I can't imagine the deep disappointment in that.

Sometimes I hate the post office, other times it is my best friend. I wonder if I will ever have a love only relationship rather than the love-hate I currently have with it.

Gaile said...

BUMMER! I'm reading your post though, thinking, 'wow, only 8 days for the other packages?!?'
(when my hubby was in Fallujah - both times - his packages always seemed to take AT LEAST 3 weeks to get to him, and some took a lot longer
(most had been at least mishandled so the contents were always in poor condition anyway, and some were even pilfered - those damned customs forms are such a freaking INVITATION for anyone to steal the gifts we send)
I hope your stuff shows up, no matter the condition, so he at least can see how GREAT you are - how hard you worked on it.
:)

Laura said...

Ya everything else was 8-10 days. Thats about how long everyone else's were taking too. It's because we're already in CA and the address is AP, meaning they just go to San Fran. The post office gets them up there usually on the same day and then they're picked up by the military and delivered air mail.

Anonymous said...

Something in me suspects that a mail man fully enjoyed the contents. Man I hope it is ok!

Michelle said...

Sadness for your MIA care package! I would have been PO too if I were you. I'll think I'll have to contact you when I start to prepare my hubby's packages for ideas :)

♥ Dani said...

It has to arrive! The packages I sent Joshua a month ago finally arrived this week. Mail is so screwed up over there... I hope he receives it, that was the best package ever! I'd cry too. Thank goodness you took pictures so he knows the hard work you put into it!

Brittney said...

awww im sorry hun!! :(

tootie said...

I would be so sad, too! I hope it turns up soon!!

Star Spangled said...

I am sorry to hear about this, but boy you have a way with words, and I must admit that some of this made me laugh. Please understand, I was NOT laughing at what happened to your beautiful care package...that's awful...I was laughing at some of your expressions. :)

Laura said...

Hahaha...no I know what you mean lol.