Followers

I'm a Military Blogger

TheRogueMilspouse

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Deployment: It's not that big of a deal

Ok ok, I know my post title seems completely contrary to everything I have spewed out in the past 2 months. I mean for heaven's sake I can't even put away my own groceries. But here me out...

A few weeks ago I met someone on craigslist. She is not a milspouse and has pretty much no connection to the military whatsoever. We were playing volleyball and she asked about my husband. I mentioned he was acually in Afghanistan.

Hearing that news the entire tone of the outing changed from a fun-loving day at the beach to an afternoon of akward conversations. She was acting like, at any moment, I might burst into tears and slit my wrists, like the mere mention of him would cause me to wail into the heavens like a depressed banshee. She was basically tiptoeing around the conversation, trying not to "tip the scale".

But come on...I'm not THAT fragile. I've had my ups and downs, but the last thing I want is for someone to treat me like a glued-back-together china doll.

Ya, my husband is deployed and it's not the most ideal situation but there's nothing I can do to change it and I don't want to go around all day playing the "woe is me" card (unless I'm talking my way out of a traffic ticket hehehehe). I wish people would just treat me like they always treated me.

There's no need to hyper-sensitize the issue.

So in that sense, deployment is not that big of a deal. Especially now that's it's been almost 2 months, I'm actually starting to become somewhat "accustomed" to it. I don't want to sound like I don't need my husband, but I can certainly see the "silver lining" (as one of my other bloggy friends put it in one of her posts).

For instance, I used to have to watch all my TV shows online because my husband would whine if I dared tune in to "Vampire Diaries" during his history channel marathons. But now I get to watch my sexy, un-dead day walkers on our 36 inch flat screen! With popcorn!

Oh and I can actually cook fish. DH hates fish (unless it was literally caught right in front of him). This morning I made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. I also don't have a curfew. I used to always strive to be home when he was home, but now I'm not chained down to any specific time. Working out at 9 pm? Count me in.

The cats, of course, are loving his absense...probably a little too much. My husband has an issue of tossing and turning like a crazy person when he sleeps and my poor kitty usually takes a foot to the head at least every other night, or else he is accidently pushed clean off the bed. With DH gone, Skaggs can now sleep an entire night at the foot of the bed, undisturbed.

He can also hog the easy chair, AND lounge on the kitchen table. Yes, I let my cats hang out on the kitchen table. It's not like anyone eats on it. It's usually covered in papers and random things carried in from outside (purses, umbrellas, keys, bags, mail, etc). DH HATED the cats on the table. He said it was "unsanitary" and was always running around chasing them off and yelling. But I don't really give a damn, so cats on the table it is.

4 comments:

Chantal said...

OMG, I am exactly like that with TV shows! I'm actually about to watch a show online because my husband refuses to watch it when it's on. :( Thank goodness for DVR though!

mountains-to-climb said...

I hope you're right! I have yet to go through my first deployment with my hubby & I'm secretly stressing.

Just thought I'd say hi (new follower) and am hoping you can follow me back.

http://addicted2shius.blogspot.com

Brittney said...

Girl you are so right!!I miss my hubby like mad but I love having the freedom to do what i want when i want to do it!! Lol and just for the record I love Vampire Diaries!! :) Damon and Stefan=Some Sexy Ass Vampires!! ;) My sis and I watch it every week on her 60 inch hdtv with popcorn in hand, and let me say Thursdays are one of my favorite days of the week!

Anonymous said...

=D I love it Laura.